The Oral Roberts scandal recalls previous religious scandals like Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker, but the PTL misdeeds are nothing compared to the Oral Roberts scandal.
The Oral Roberts scandal has Oral Roberts University President Richard Roberts caught up in political and financial wrongdoing and his wife, ORU Vice President Lindsay Roberts, enmeshed in late night misadventures with underage teenage boys.
Here’s what the Associated Press had to say about the Oral Roberts University scandal:
Richard Roberts is accused of illegal involvement in a local political campaign and lavish spending at donors’ expense, including numerous home remodeling projects, use of the university jet for his daughter’s senior trip to the Bahamas, and a red Mercedes convertible and a Lexus SUV for his wife, Lindsay.
Lindsay Roberts is accused of dropping tens of thousands of dollars on clothes, awarding nonacademic scholarships to friends of her children and sending scores of text messages on university-issued cell phones to people described in the lawsuit as “underage males.”
The lawsuit against Oral Roberts University was filed by three professors dismissed after they gave the school’s Board Of Regents copies of incriminating documents found by an ORU student while repairing a laptop belonging to Richard Roberts sister-in-law, Stephanie Cantese.
Oral Roberts Scandal Details
The incriminating document at the heart of the Oral Roberts scandal details dozens of alleged instances of misconduct. Among them:
- A longtime maintenance employee was fired so that an underage male “friend” of Mrs. Roberts could have his job.
- Lindsay Roberts cell-phone bills exceeded $800 per month, with hundreds of text messages sent between 1 a.m. to 3 a.m. to “underage males who had been provided phones at university expense.”
- The Oral Roberts University jet was used to take one daughter and several friends on a senior trip to Orlando and the Bahamas with the $29,411 trip being billed to the ministry as an “evangelistic function of the president.”
- Mrs. Roberts spent huge amounts on clothing purchases charged to the Oral Roberts ministry, with more than $39,000 at one Chico’s clothing store alone in less than a year, claiming “As long as I wear it once on TV, we can charge it off.” The document cites inconsistencies in clothing purchases and their actual usage on TV.
- University employees are regularly summoned to the Roberts’ home to do their daughters’ homework.
- The university maintains a stable of horses for the exclusive use of the Roberts’ three daughters.
- ORU paid for the Roberts’ home to be remodeled 11 times in the past 14 years.
You’ve got to love people like the Roberts who have no problem flouting the rules against a non-profit university participating in political campaigns and spending Oral Roberts University’s money like they were oil billionaires.
And Lindsay Roberts shameful behavior with teenage boys who are younger than her own daughters makes Jim Bakker’s romps with Jessica Hahn pale in comparison.
And that’s the latest on the Oral Roberts scandal.